[Zope] Impact of Zope on hosting provider?

Robert Wentworth rhww@erols.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:27:35 -0500

Right now my biggest obstacle to setting up a Zope-powered
site could be finding a hosting provider I have confidence
in who is willing to run Zope.  When I asked my first-choice
provider about running Zope, they replied:

> Though it's true that we can install programs that need root
> instlall, it only so when the program is low CPU/mem use and
> non-intrusive. Zope is neither, so to run it you would need to get
> your own dedicated server through us.

A dedicated server is not a viable option for this site at
this point in time.  So, a few questions:

1)  Are the provider's fears justified?  What sort of
    memory footprint, CPU requirements (for a site that
    should have fairly low traffic at first), and other
    impact are Zope likely to have on a hosting provider?

2)  Would anyone care to let me know what their experience
    has been with the two hosting providers (NexusWeb and
    CodeIt Computing) listed as known to host Zope-based
    sites?  (I've been sufficiently badly burned in the past
    by bad hosting providers that I cannot justify signing
    up for a provider without positive recommendations or
    multiple alternatives for backup.)

Robert Wentworth