[Zope] Newbie install help needed !!!!!

Thomas Schruefer tschruefer@mail.howard.k12.md.us
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:15:41 -0500

Thus far my attempts to install the Zope binary release on a Linux
machine have been for nothing.  The Install documentation and the Install
program contradict each other at almost every turn.

The docs say use ./install -u <userid>

but the -u switch is gives a error message, saying it is a invalid switch
and not supported at all. The install --help, says nothing about a -u
switch.

The docs say you can specify the cgi directory, with the -c switch, but
the install program says that is a unsupported feature.

The -s switch in the docs says this is to provide the superuser login and
password to the install routine, yet the install program say this is used
to strip tables (perhaps parsing the access file), none of the docs say
anything more.

I have tried numerous variations, all to no avail.  Perhaps the ZDP
should have started at the beginning, with usable install instructions,
instead of with a FAQ.

I must say that the screen shots in the PDF file and those docs are quite
nice, but thats about it.  Reading the PDF docs, just makes me want to
get in and try Zope even more.

Is there anyone that could help or give me some pointers ?

Tom