[Zope] Why do I have to reimport External Methods ?

John Eikenberry jae@kavi.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:08:52 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Maik Roeder wrote:

> Everytime I change the implementation of my file in Extensions/test.py I have
> to reimport the External Method to see the changes.

You don't have to delete and recreate an External Method each time you
change it's file. But you do have to go back to its properties page and
hit the "Edit" button to reload its module (this is actually a nice
feature of python, being able to reload modules at run time).

> What am I doing wrong ? I just want the changes I made to the source
> code to be reflected when I reload a page !

Well, it may be possible to stat the External Methods file each time its
used, and reload it if its changed (you'd have to store its last
modification time somewhere to compare against). This probably isn't done
for performance reasons. Perhaps it could be linked to the BOBO_DEBUG_MODE
environmental variable or something to address this issue.

---

John Eikenberry
[jae@kavi.com - http://taos.kavi.com/~jae/]
 will deserve neither and lose both."