[Zope] Make site searchable

Johan Lindstrom johanl@bahnhof.se
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:34:14 +0100

Amos Latteier <amos@aracnet.com> wrote:
>>I'm working on an intranet site (using Zope). Now I need to make the site
>>searchable. Tried using htdig, but without luck (should it work with
>zopesites?).
>
>Unless you do something tricky, I doubt you will be able to get normal
>search engines to work with a Zope site, since I belive that most search
>engines want to read HTML files from the filesystem for indexing.

[Apologies if this post is considered off-topic on this list]

You might want to try Webinator, an outstanding search engine available at:

http://www.thunderstone.com/webinator/

It's free to use for up to 10,000 documents. It works by fetching documents
over HTTP (not your file system), so it should work with Zope. However, the
free version requires an Internet connection to check with the license
server, so it might be impractical for an intranet soluition without full
Internet access.

Hope That Helps,

/J

Johan Lindström                       BossMedia
Sourcerer                     johanl@bahnhof.se
                 http://www.bahnhof.se/~johanl/
If the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything tends to look