[Zope] RE: Install Zope on Web Host?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:51:23 -0500

My experience has been that if the hosting company is running Apache (many
do) and if they have mod_rewrite installed (which is probably also pretty
common), it is not *too* difficult to get Zope running in that environment.
However, many hosting companies have policies against creating long running
processes. Zope takes up a few MB of memory, which is considerably more than
an instance of Apache... so many providers are not keen on that kind of
thing. Before putting effort into trying to make Zope work in their
environment, you'll probably want to ask them if they are willing to let you
run a process that will hang out in memory all the time.

CodeIt (one of the Zope hosting companies, http://www.codeit.com) will
actually host Zope for you. You don't need to deal with building and
configuring the package at all.

Kevin