[Zope] Zope Database in XML

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:39:04 -0500

Theodore Patrick wrote:

> If you can access the database directly through this interface(xml/pickle),
> couldn't you *potentially* map a network drive to the interface(cifs/nfs).
> This could allow you to render data in and out of the database through the
> file system interface rather than ftp/http.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  You can export and import data to
a file system now, using the Zope database format, which is built on
Python's pickle format.  The XML conversion feature just gets the data into a
slightly more editable form.

One key difference between http/ftp and the file system is that
Zope trusts the file system much more and is willing to get pickles
(binary, XML, whatever) from it.  This is a sort of a security
feature.  In the future, I'd like to make a variation on the
Python pickler that was easier to configure to be pickier and
safer to use with network supplied pickles.

Jim

repeats.