[Zope] Limitations of just using External Methods ?

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:55:38 +0800

Hi zoppelgangers,

I have several applications built 100% with python CGI
scripts that I'd like to run on Zope. The reason for
this are :
a) For the better performance (I was worried about
   the scalability of CGI for high-availability and
   knew I had to move to FastCGI or the equivalent)
b) I really really like the way Zope takes care of
   the CGI variable handling (ie. declaring the
   HTML form fields as arguments in the python method).

However, I don't really want to use DTML at all.
The reasons is that I find it much harder to read
than pure Python. This is just a personal aesthetic
thing and no criticism of Zope at all (full kudos to
Digicool on an excellent application). It's just
coding aesthetic : I like it all kept in Python,
like servlets in java (as opposed to CFML, ASP etc).

So, I've put all of my CGI scripts in a newly-created
extensions directory and registered them via the
Zope web-manager. It was, as the documentation says,
incredibly simple and it seems to work for simple
methods. (I'll declare my own packages later).

Now, if I just use External Methods like this (using my
own ex-CGI Python scripts to query databases, IMAP etc),
am I missing out on any of Zope's main benefits ?
In particular, the cache management ?
Would I have to turn my stuff into  a Zope Product to
get these benefits ? (I've not had too much joy with
the Product stuff yet)

chas