[Zope] Dealing with international character sets

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Thu, 6 May 1999 21:06:24 +0200

I note that Zope is converting strings with certain international
characters into its own notation. Specifically, in my country our
alphabet contains three additional characters. For example, "oslash"
(\0xF8 on my system), which Zope expands into "\370". Oddly enough Zope
does not have the same problem with other international characters such
as accented letters, or the German alphabet.

Now, this is extremely inconvenient when dealing with database tables,
because obvious such things as name lookup won't work, and besides, any
strings that are put into the table fields will use Zope syntax, not a
"proper" character set (eg., ISO-8859-1, which is the one we use here).
Is there a solution? For example, a function to convert the Zope string
back to my kind of string?

How can I get Zope to work with my international character set?

Alexander Staubo
http://www.mop.no/~alex/
mailto:redhand@mop.no