[Zope] Zope with MSSQL under Linux?

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:03:54 +0200

Anthony Baxter wrote:
>> > Has anybody used Zope with MS SQL Server under Linux?
>>
>> Rumor has it that the Sybase 11.x client for Linux
>successfully connect
>> to the SQL Server 6.5.  I'm not sure about SQL Server 7 (and as I
>> recall, neither was the original poster).  Check out the
>list archives
>> to double check.
>
>Rumor - ha! More than just "rumor". Yeah, it works fine
>against MSSQL 6.5,
>it's in regular use by us right now (and will shortly be going
>into _heavy_
>use - ohmiiigawd).

I hope you're referring to the ZSybaseDA adapter here; if so, I'll
definitely give it a shot. For me, lack of availability of a database
driver for MSSQL has long been what's keeping me from going Linux with
web development.

>MS changed the wire protocol some between 6.5 and 7.0, so some
>stuff won't
>work. I don't know exactly what.

Apparently vanilla queries still work; I'm going to verify this when we
get 7.0 here.

>You might also want to check out http://metalab.unc.edu/freetds/ - a
free
>reimplementation of the client protocol used by Sybase/MSSQL.

Unfortunately, this project is barely underway; the ODBC driver isn't
usable, for example. More interesting is the unixODBC project,
unfortunately it didn't not have an MSSQL driver when I last checked.

Alexander Staubo
http://www.mop.no/~alex/
mailto:redhand@mop.no