[Zope] Midgard

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:38:55 -0400

> Careful with that Axe, Martijn! ;)  Chris Petrelli brought up the point
> just the other day that the ability to quicky and easily add objects to
> the 'Add' menu can mean trouble.  It is the opinion of some the add menu
> is too big as it is.  I'm sure many of you have sat down at a Windows
> machine whose user didnt' organize their start menu very deep, and the
> 'Programs' menu was pages upon pages of menu options all at the same
> depth.  In that particular case, we are talking about user error, but in
> this case, it is a limitation of the web pulldown box widget (not really
> a limitation of the existing widget, but the lack of a more complex
> structured one).

A'hoy! I knew Michel was up to something, my ears hurt... Seriously though,
I think that there are some elegant ways to solve this.  If only there were
"cascading menus" in HTML ;-)

> So this will require some thought.  It is all good and cool that we can
> create our own objects very quickly now, but it can get out of hand (you
> should see my sandbox!)

I've heard tell, "oh my gawd, where did I put that class?!?!?!?!" and yet
there must be a better way.  I will simply toss out that the idea of a
better management interface is brewing, and the reality is that *soon* there
will be some hefty overhauls into roles in the management interfaces that
will I believe permit some elimination of this for MOST people who use the
environment.  All in due course!  Money will of course, speed the process!
Send your $100 bills to...

>> Midgard's authentication system is fairly limited. I'd miss
>> acquisition!
>
> Wouldn't we all.

My take is it's more a "prebuilt" environment to do your PHP3 stuff in, but
that doesn't make it an "application server" any more than a single ASP is
an application server.  That doesn't mean there aren't any neat ideas :-)

Chris
--
Christopher Petrilli                                  Digital Creations
petrilli@digicool.com