[Zope] Zope Weekly News

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Wed, 12 May 1999 22:03:02 -0400

Hello Zopistas:

As some of you may know, I've been writing summaries of Zope list
activity and sending them to Linux Weekly News (http://www.lwn.net/)
each week for the past couple weeks.

Since I have so much trouble keeping up with the Zope lists, I figured
that some of you might too, and coupled with my surmise that not
everyone reads LWN, I was led to the idea to post my summaries to the
Zope list as well.

So here's this week's summary.

-Amos

P.S. I'm definitely interested in feedback. Did I miss something
important? Let me know and I'll include it in the next summary.

--

It's been a pretty busy week in Zopeland. Lots of announcements, lots of
activity on the Zope Documentation Project list, lots of questions, and

(Note: Unfortunately this week there is a problem with the Zope mailing
all news items. This should be fixed by next week. So this week I am
substituting egroups URLs as needed.)

  * Jim Fulton, technical director at Digital Creations, and Zope guru
number one, announced that on May 19 there will be a Zope 2.0 Alpha 1
source release. This means we are getting closer to having a fully
threaded Zope! The only question is whether to hack Zope that day or see
that new movie, what's it called again...

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4913.html

  * Beehive held the first Berlin Zope Barbecue! Not only that, but it
was broadcast live on the net.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4716.html

  * Paul Everitt asked for help with work writing a short piece of Zope
for a forth-coming O'Reilly book on Python and Windows. He also posted a
partial implementation of a COM Method object. However, it seems that
perhaps the turnaround time on this project is too short for much of a
community effort.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4724.html

  * Many people discussed problems with IE and the latest Zope release.
It looks like its an issue of HTTP headers.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4732.html

  * Paul Everitt made a long post about Zope on an Infoworld forum about
open source and business and generated some interesting comments.

  http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?111585

  There was also some related traffic on the mailing list

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4646.html

  * Zope showed up on Scripting News on Wednesday.

  http://news.userland.com/1999/05/12/

  * Ty Sarna posted an experimental Symbolic Link Product.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4768.html
  http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib/Pointer.tar.gz

  * Luciano Ramalho offered an example of an External Method which helps
organize links to Documents inside Folders.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4908.html

  * Jordan B. Baker announced a DTML mode for XEmacs.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4764.html
  ftp://ftp.spyderlab.com/pub/zope/dtml-mode-0.1.tar.gz

  * Amos Latteier posted a rough draft of a ZClasses tutorial. Lots of
folks are starting to use ZClasses now. Information is still scarce and
lots of things are still changing (witness CVS activity), however more
information is emerging and people are discovering cool things.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4700.html
  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4757.html
  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4846.html

  * Mark Hays offered some security enhancements to the CookieCutter
Product.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4776.html?raw=1