[Zope] Followup on custom object management

Jordan B. Baker jbb@spyderlab.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:08:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jim Harrison wrote:

> In followup to Alex Schad's question, what is the best way to learn about
> Zope's internal methods for managing objects so that we can write custom
> management pages for users, as Jordan Baker suggests?
>
> I'm currently working with Confera and I'd like use it to set up a
> workflow system where users can edit or delete previous entries using a
> custom screen to manage the messages. I'm having difficulties with both
> the content and security of the management pages--since they don't appear
> as DTML documents in the Confera topic folder (I guess they're Python
> methods), I can't find their template contents to inspect or visualize
> their position in the object hierarchy.

I haven't really been looking at Confera, but like any other Zope product
it will probably have its DTML files stored in the lib directory
somewhere.

For UNIX try cd'ing into the lib directory and running find . -name
'*.dtml' and you will get a listing of the DTML files that are used
internally by Zope to generate administrative interfaces and the like.
For Windows you'll have to use the Find Files dialog.

Some pages won't be stored in a .dtml file.  Sometimes they're in the
Python source file (extension is .py).  With a little bit of poking around
you should be able to find what you are looking for.

HTH,

-------
Jordan B. Baker -- jbb@spyderlab.com
weaving the web @ http://www.spyderlab.com