[Zope] Zope on Cobalt RaQ servers

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:28:31 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 17 May 1999 15:53:20 -0500,
Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net> said:

Jimmie> I have been in correspondence with my dialup ISP about
Jimmie> co-locating with him so that I could find out my costs to
Jimmie> eventually deploy my website. He gave me a list of options one
Jimmie> of which was the Cobalt RaQ.

Jimmie> What are Zope users experiences running Zope on these devices?

I can say Python and Zope/pcgi compile and run on the Cobalt RaQ, but I
experienced a number of serious issues which I have not resolved yet. I
assume this is my own inexperience with Zope, not a problem with the
platform, but I don't know for sure. ZServer was not stable enough to be
useful for me.

You can search this list archive if you are interested in seeing the
troubles I ran into. Some of them are:

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:50:08 -0600 (MDT) [Zope] <module 'Main'>
Sun, 2 May 1999 14:51:22 -0600 (MDT) [Zope] ZMySQLDA install problem
Sun, 2 May 1999 15:10:33 -0600 (MDT) [Zope] ZSQLMethods broken

This isn't a dig at the Zope crew at all (keep up the great work), just
my own experiences, and realizing that I need to be much more of a
Python hacker to get Zope working well, especially on a funky platform
like the Cobalt, or that maybe the next version of Zope will be more
user friendly.

The RaQ itself is a little underpowered, but is very trim and low-power,
so I would expect the ISP should give you a good deal on colocating a
Cobalt vs. a PC or other type of hardware.

Regards, Alex Rice

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA