[Zope] RE: COMObject Thoughts

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Wed, 19 May 1999 10:31:28 -0400

On 18 May 99, at 18:33, Amos Latteier wrote:

> Thanks for this warning. I'm definitely out of my league here. These are
> the sort of issues I was hoping others would be able to provide more
> guidance on. I don't really understand the relative trade off of not
> caching versus using free-threading...

I'm still trying visualize how COM objects would fit best within Zope.

I'm not sure that caching is the 'best way to go', unless the caching was
on a per-client basis, or shared only if specifically configured that way.

How do cached com objects time out? How exactly is caching
supposed to work?

As far as CoInitialize in each thread, I was wondering if that was part of
the problem we had, but I see also the threading model is an issue.

Although I can call ActiveX components from an interactive python, they
die in Zope as pointed out previously.

> I agree about the security problem. I'm not familiar with the
> IObjectSafety interface, however.

Is this a COM+ thing?

> I gotta get that Python/COM book ;-)

Is there really a book?

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               ICQ: 14856937