[Zope] Customizing management screens for different users/roles

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 05:56:56 -0400

> I need to let users edit parts of a site, and I want to use the management
> interface rather than write a 'dumbed down' interface for them. But I don't
> want these users to see anything they are not supposed to use or know.
>
> First, I don't want users to be able to access foo/manage, but only
> foo/manage_main. But if I add permission to access the management interface
> to a user, then foo/manage is accessible.
>
> Second, if a user does not have permission to change security for an
> object, I want the Security tab not to appear at all. Also, I don't want
> the Help tab to appear. Is it possible to control what <!--#var
> manage_tabs--> creates?

Fortunately, while Guido wasn't looking, Jim borrowed his time machine, and
2.0 includes the concept of manage_workspace, which is a "filtered" view on
the management screens.  It allows you to define situations where even
anonymous users might be allowed to see some of the management interface.  I
haven't delved into this (other than a discussion of what the implication is
for changing roles), but you should look in 2.0.0a1 at manage_workspace, and
see the way it creates tabs (filter_tabs, or some such, though I don't
recall off the top of my head).  This will let you do exactly what you want.

Chris
--
Christopher Petrilli                                  Digital Creations
petrilli@digicool.com