[Zope] getting <!-- --> sections to 'render' from an external method...

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:34:20 +0100

> > I want the <!--#var conference--> DTML to be left alone by the
>> make_html external method so that Zope can get given it and then do
>> all its good stuff.

Thanks for the reply,

>Um, I don't know if I understand it quite right.
>
>If the question was concerning what the method should return, then you could
>either pass 'REQUEST' or 'self' (Depending on where the conference variable
>is:in REQUEST, in a Folder)  to you method and have it return something like
>
>'For the following exercise, use the conferencing system. %s'
>%REQUEST['conference'],  tagtype='text'

Would this allow Zope to 'render' the returned value from the
external method (eg  '...use the conferencing system <!--#var
conference--> ...') so that the #var is expanded?

>If the question was concerning the way to pass a variable to an external
>method, then the problem is that you can't use DTML inside an expression.
>Change it to something like:
>'For the following exercise, use the conferencing system. %s' %conference,
>tagtype='text'

I see what you mean. I don't want to pass a variable to the external
method, I want the external method to put a 'wrapper' around the
content I send it (in this case HTML) and then pass that back to the
Zope system which will then do any further substitutions/acquisitions
etc. based upon any DTML that  *may* be returned.

Thanks
tone
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2