[Zope] ZODB and large data sets

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Sat, 22 May 1999 11:21:53 -0500

I am working through the design of my website as I study and learn Zope.

I've started to work on calculating storage requirements to determine
server needs as I am also working on building my server.

My app can easily be divided into multiple datasets or databases. One of
the datasets I am looking at has a potential of 4+ million objects with
each object requiring 15-50kb minimum. This dataset can be subdivided.
Initially I will not populate the database will all of the items in their
full form, but will populate as requests for data come. However I need to
develop as if and plan for complete population.

This makes for a very large database and one that spans more than one hard
drive.

Can Zope create and use multiple ZODBs on multiple hard drives?
If so, how will such a large dataset affect packing and the creation of the
backup file?

Will I need to use multiple other database backends such as MySQL or
possibly MetaKit?

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Jimmie Houchin