[Zope] Palm & Zope.

Otto Hammersmith otto@ipass.net
Sun, 23 May 1999 18:57:57 -0400

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has done any work related to publishing
documents written on a PalmPilot via Zope. The obvious route is to author
structured text on the Pilot (memopad or a Doc file editor, preferably Doc
to avoid the 4K limit of memopad) and upload that manually.

I have two problems with that kind of setup:

The first is the manual publishing of documents. Ideally, though the
documents would be sent to the Zope server on Hot Synch. What folder they
were published in could be dictated by the category of the document.

My second problem is with structured text itself- with the lack of
horisontal space the need to indent paragraphs to get headings is a pain.
I'd prefer something similar to Emacs' outline mode which uses consecutive
*'s at the beginning of a line to show it is a heading and what level it is.
(Of course, writing the HTML tags on the Palm is an option, but that does
beome very tedious.)

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone written code to read Doc files and upload them to Zope. This
shouldn't be very hard but I wouldn't want to duplicate existing effort.

2) How hard would it be to extend/modify the structured text module to do
what I want? (I've been lurking long enough to hear about Z-Classes but I
haven't learned enough to know whether that applies here.)

Thanks in advance.

(For the curious, I wrote this e-mail on my Palm IIIx. :)

			-Otto.