[Zope] ZODB and large data sets

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:38:39 -0500

At 07:49 AM 5/24/99 -0500, Howard Clinton Shaw III wrote:
>On Sat, 22 May 1999, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
[snip]
>Currently, Zope 1 uses a single file to store its data.
>That means that it is subject to the ext2 fs limit of 2gb on
>32 bit systems. On an alpha, no such limit
>(ok, there is, but its on the order of 8 million terabytes),
>but in either case, one file. Zope 2 will use ZODB3,
>which should permit multiple files to be used for one Zope site.
>Either way, MySQL or similar techniques can certainly be used to
>extend the holding capacity of either database.
>Indeed, the ZODB3 will be able to store its data in an RDBM.
>
>I'm sure the DC Gurus could tell you more,
>as they have worked with large datasets,
>but they are currently otherwise occupied.
>--
>Howard Clinton Shaw III - Grum
>St. Thomas High School
>#include "disclaimer.h"

Thanks for your reply.

I had forgotten about the 2gb limit. That definitely affects program
design. To think I was only concerned with it outgrowing a single hard
drive. :)

This will require further thought.

I knew the DC folks were at LinuxExpo, so I wasn't worried about a delayed
reply. I imagined they are pretty swamped now, considering the well
deserved response. :)

Thanks again.

Jimmie Houchin