[Zope] Apache/Zope Newbie How-To (maybe....)

Howard Clinton Shaw III shawh@sths.org
Tue, 25 May 1999 13:04:45 -0500

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Chuck Mead wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 1999, Evan Simpson spewed into the bitstream:
>
> > Minor nits/additions to this fine draft:
> >
> > 1. I don't set up any Apache authorization, and it works fine (version 1.3.2
> > w/SSL).  Perhaps 1.3.6 adds some difficult behavior?
>
> Yeah... I think it does and I think the extensions added with these newer
> versions of Apache are killing Webserver.txt instructions because the
> changes aren't reflected in the file.
>
> > 2. Make sure that your zope/var directory (and all its contents) has
> > owner:group set to nobody:nobody, or whatever your Apache runs under ('ps
> > uaxw | grep httpd' and check the first column).  I even chmod it to 2770.
>
> Yeah... I did this myself but it's in the Webserver.txt file already... I
> wasn't thinking of a comprehensive How-To but maybe I should?
>
> > 3. If you don't want the '/Zope/' prefix, or (my own situation) you're
> > mixing Zope-served with Apache-served stuff and your pages are being
> > designed by somebody with a tool that wants '.htm[l]' extensions, try
> > inserting this line directly before the RewriteCond line:
> >
> > RewriteRule ^/(.*)\.py\.html(.*)$ http://www.mysite.com/Zope/$1$2
> >
> > This will allow you to refer to, say, '/Zope/ex/parrot/pining' as
> > '/ex/parrot/pining.py.html', or from non-Zope page '/ex/parrot/fjords.html'
> > as 'pining.py.html'.
>
> I still don't know enough about Zope itself to really understand this but
> I think I get the gist of it here: "\.py\.html" you're essentially
> creating an either/or both context?

Nope. That's not Zope, that's a regular expression, and in regexps, '.' means any single character. Therefore,
since he means the actual period character, not any character, he escapes it with a backslash. Thus \.py\.html
ONLY matches .py.html, not 'either': they must both be present.