[Zope] RE: running zope

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sat, 29 May 1999 03:45:46 -0400

<snip>

>     ImportError: No module named ExtensionClass
>     zinit: Sat May 29 03:19:18 1999: Aiieee! 15742 exited with error
> code: 256

<posted from support to the zope list>

I assume you are using Zope 2.0.0 alpha.  Zope comes with a handful of
python extensions written in C for speed.  Although we provide binary
releases for stable, beta and pre-releases, we do not provide binaries
for alpha quality code.  If you are running Linux, you must run the
wo_pcgi.py script to compile the extensions (you must have gcc and the c
library installed, which comes by default for most versions of Linux and
other *NIX OSes, you must also have Python 1.5.2 installed).  If you are
runnign Windows, you will need a C compiler.  The long and short of it
is, we want you to use the alpha code if you like living on the bleeding
edge and running into and helping fix bugs.  Otherwise, we recommend you
use one of our stable releases.  The current stable release is 1.10.2,
and there are precompiled binaries for Linux, Solaris, and Windows.
It's possible someone on the list can get you a precompiled BSD version.
I beleive we plan on supporting BSD binaries in future releases, but I'm
not the one to say for sure.

-Michel