[Zope] Java Port

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:44:03 -0500 (EST)

    PJE> * Reflection: Zope makes heavy use of Python internals, such
    PJE> as function metadata

Newer versions of JPython have a lot of the reflection attributes
expected from CPython objects.  Not all of course, and I don't know
what Zope requires, but e.g. func_code, func_globals, func_defaults
are all readable.  Some reflection attrs that are writable in CPython
may not be writable in JPython.  I'd be interested to know what Zope
requires here.

    PJE>  and examination of bytecodes used in
    PJE> Python expressions.

Okay, that's a tricky one :)

    PJE> * ExtensionClasses: ZPublisher and DTML are the only parts of
    PJE> Zope that can work without ExtensionClasses (and DTML
    PJE> performance suffers without the MultiMapping extension).
    PJE> ExtensionClasses are C-based Python types which override
    PJE> object behaviors in ways that Python objects cannot.

It actually might not be hard to "port" or re-implement
ExtensionClasses to JPython, esp. because you've got a real OOP
underneath.  It might be as easy as deriving from PyObject, implement
the behavior you want, and then exporting this into Python as a class
that can be derived from.

    PJE> * Acquisition: Actually, not as difficult, compared to
    PJE> ExtensionClasses as a whole and persistence in particular,
    PJE> but it's still ExtensionClass based and probably a fair bit
    PJE> of work to do right.

I talked about this in a previous post.

    PJE> In short, if you want a "JZope", you're going to have to work
    PJE> mighty hard for it.  Or...  if Pythons 1.6 through 2.0 move
    PJE> the ExtensionClass machinery, or something like it, into the
    PJE> base definition of Python..  AND the JPython folks follow
    PJE> suit...  AND Digital Creations moves to the new "standard"
    PJE> extension machinery, THEN...  a JPython port might be
    PJE> (somewhat) more "reasonable."

It would be a very useful discussion to have.  I'd like to see much
more convergence in the reflection and extension areas of the two
implementations.

-Barry