[Zope] ANN: First beta of ClickTracker product released

Petru Paler ppetru@coltronix.com
Sun, 1 Nov 1999 20:15:54 +0200

       Hi all,

   I just wanted to let you know that I uploaded a development version of
the ClickTracker product. You can get it at
http://www.zope.org/Members/ppetru/ClickTracker
   The README file:

       ClickTracker clickthrough logging system

   This product logs clickthroughs to foreign (or local) URLs in a SQL database.
The data gathered with it is useful to generate reports about where your site's
visitors go.

Usage:
   Untar and ungzip the archive into you Zope directory and restart Zope. Make
sure that a database connection is available and that a table with the following
structure exists:
CREATE TABLE clickthrough_log (
        local_url    varchar(255) not null,
        foreign_url  varchar(255) not null,
	entry_date   date,
);
   Add a ClickTracker using Zope's management screens (the predefined id is 'r').
After that convert the HREFs you want to monitor after the following model:
    href="http://www.foo.com" -> href="r?t=http://www.foo.com"

Description of the SQL schema:
    local_url contains the full local URL (ex: http://www.myzopeserver.com/links/directories)
    foreign_url contains the full foreign URL that the user clicked (ex: http://www.yahoo.com)
    entry_date contains the date when the clickthrough was logged

Bugs:
    The SQL method uses the now() function which (I think) is MySQL-specific.
Does anyone know a database-independent way to get the current time ?

Todo:
    - it should be possible to change the logging table name
    - report generation

Contact ppetru@coltronix.com for suggestions, bug reports, complains and patches :)

-Petru