[Zope] MSWord Product...

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:25:59 +0100

Date sent:      	Wed, 03 Nov 1999 13:29:03 -0500
To:             	benno@sesgroup.net, Phil Harris <phil@wigwamweb.net>
From:           	"Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com>
Subject:        	Re: [Zope] MSWord Product...
Copies to:      	magnus@vuab.net, zope@zope.org

> At 05:01 AM 11/4/99 +1100, Ben Leslie wrote:
> >
> >The results I have seen are reasonably good, probably not perfect though.
> >If layout it critical I would suggesting converting to PDF using the Adobe
> >Acrobat (unfortuntely this is quite expensive :( )
> >

> There is another way to do that.  Print to file using a Postscript driver
> from Word, then load the result into GhostScript/GSView (free, open source)
> and generate a PDF.  Voila.  It's a bit less convenient than Acrobat, but
> for many files it actually runs faster than Acrobat.

And anyway the double step postscript->pdf is generally assumed
produce the best results for Acrobat as well. The direct conversion
word->acrobat is just convenient.

Note also that if you want to access/catalog the pdf contents as well
you could use an existing python product (not zope related), called
prescript. I do not have the url handy at the moment, but it should
easily be found on the python website (www.python.org)

Rik