[Zope] [ANN] ZpdfDocument-0-0-1

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:27:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Oscar Picasso wrote:

> No, I don't think the generated PDF should be stored in the Zpdf Document.
> It should be stored in a Folder, a class instance, every where it is useful
> to keep a copy of a this particular file.

Ok I see. One way is to provide a file-like interface to ZpdfDocument so
you can add it wherever you want from dtml, like: <dtml-call
"manage_addFile ....>

> The idea behind that is to use Zpdf Documents as templates and fill some
> variable data via a form.
> Lets take and example. In the insurance field we could create a template
> for a contract. A person could provide all the necessary data: name, age,
> profession and check the options the client wants.
> Then using the Zpdf Document template and the data in the form, we could
> generate a particular contract for that person.
> I think we have to be able to retrieve that particular contract on a database.
> This is just an example, I think the potential of such a tool is huge.

Why not create the ZpdfDocument template above the clients folder (lets
say we name it pdf) so each client has access to it through acquisition.
Client specific data are stored as properties on the client 'object'
ZClass, DTMLDocument etc and whenever someone accesses:
.../client_name/contract/pdf he will get the pdf version of his contract.
In this way you can change the contract (lets say you add a new logo)
and every client will see the changes without needing to update every
generated pdf document. It will be less efficient but I think is more
'Zopish' this way.

> I was thinking about more simple tags like <s> and <u>.

Ok I will add them on my TODO list

Pavlos