[Zope] ASE & ZOPE and general question

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:54:33 -0500

> I just found ZOPE yesterday (that's how new I am to the
> concept of ZOPE). I
> am trying to find some info on how is it possible to connect
> ASE with zope?
> Also, what would be the best start to find out about simple
> staff like
> submitting data via forms to ASE using ZOPE generated pages?
> Also passing
> variables from page to page?

I will assume that ASE is Sybase's Adaptive Server Enterprise.  If so,
then you need Zope and the Sybase Database Adapter (DA).  The DA needs
the Sybase client libraries to be loaded on the machine as well.
Alternatively, if you are running Zope on Windows Something you can use
ODBC DA and get ODBC drivers for Sybase.

Essentially, Zope renders Document Templates to browsers.
Document Templates can use ZSQLMethods (these SQL templates) to request
data
ZSQLMethods need to be associated with a database via a Database
Connection object.

Jeffrey Shell has written some useful How-Tos on the subject:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jshell

Hope this helps,
--Rob