[Zope] Jon Udell (Byte) on Linux/ODBC and MySQLDA difficulties

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:33:23 -0500

On 11/9/99 11:54 AM, Karl Fast at karl.fast@pobox.com wrote:

>> wow...I feel a whole lot better about myself after reading that Jon
>> Udell had difficulties linking Zope to MySQL on Linux ;) His experience
>> sounds a lot like mine, except I was eventually able to get it working.
>> yay !
>
> So just what is the state of MySQL and Zope?

It's unsupported by Digital Creations.  We've been looking for a keeper for
a while, someone who is interested in the time required to keep it in sync.
We are driven by what our customers use, and that's largely Oracle and
Sybase (with DB2 coming).

> I know from lurking on the lists that MySQL's lack of transaction support
> doesn't make it very popular with some people, but one heck of a lot of
> people swear by it. I know more people who use MySQL than use PostgreSQL.
> Lack of strong MySQL support in Zope is a definite weak spot IMHO.
>
> Or am I totally out to lunch here.

Not totally, but simply nibbling on a tea sandwich :-)   The reason it's not
popular with *us* is the transaction support, which is critical to the kind
of mission-sensitive revenue-stream applications we do for our customers.
Once it has transaction support, we can re-evaluate that, but for now it's
verbotten for serious projects around here.  It's just a data integrity
issue.

Chris