[Zope] Jon Udell (Byte) on Linux/ODBC and MySQLDA difficulties

Karl Fast Karl Fast <karl.fast@pobox.com>
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:42:55 -0600

> > So just what is the state of MySQL and Zope?
>
> It's unsupported by Digital Creations.  We've been looking for a keeper for
> a while, someone who is interested in the time required to keep it in sync.
> We are driven by what our customers use, and that's largely Oracle and
> Sybase (with DB2 coming).
>
> Te reason it's not popular with *us* is the transaction support, which is
> critical to the kind of mission-sensitive revenue-stream applications we
> do for our customers. Once it has transaction support, we can re-evaluate
> that, but for now it's verbotten for serious projects around here.  It's
> just a data integrity issue.

Good answer. Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has opinions on this. Some non-DC
folks. Do you use MySQL? Do you want to? Why or why not? What do you think
about it's current status in Zope?

I know the place I do most of my sub-contracting with uses MySQL
extensively. They're reluctant to switch to anything else (transaction
support aside) because (a) it's yet another tool to learn, (b) they still
need to support all stuff they've build in MySQL, (c) they don't seem to
need transactions (or they just work around it).

Is the Postgress driver in better shape?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the state of open source DB's and Zope,
and if something needs to be done, where it's at (I'd probably volunteer,
but this is outta my league)

Karl Fast