[Zope] Zope vs. ColdFusion for e-commerce development

Ben Galbraith ben@galbraiths.org
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:11:28 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF2AAB.8D45CF80

Zope Folks,

I'm with a new e-commerce startup and we're currently evaluating the =
development tools we'll be using to create our website.  The platform =
will either be Sun hardware running Solaris 7/Apache, or Intel/Linux =
boxes.

We initially evaluated four solutions: mod_perl, PHP (using Apache =
module support), ColdFusion, and Zope.  We've eliminated mod_perl =
because of maintenance nightmares, PHP because, well, we just did, and =
now we're down to ColdFusion and Zope.  Initially I favored Zope, but =
there are a few concerns I have about it.

First off, the size of the ColdFusion development pool and it's =
development history suggest greater stability and a more mature feature =
set.  Second, it seems that ColdFusion offers all the functionality that =
Zope does and then some.  Third, ColdFusion seems to offer similiar =
performance.  Fourth, the database connectivity seems to be equal to =
Zope's.  Fifth, their tag-based programming language seems to offer =
equivalent functionality to Zope's.  Sixth, I can find more ColdFusion =
developers than I can shake a stick at, but I have to explain to =
everyone I meet what Zope is.

So, as my lack of information leads me to believe, there are only two =
drawbacks to ColdFusion as compared to Zope: (1) I have to pay $3.5k for =
each license, and (2) Zope has a superior model for delegating ownership =
to different people for the website.

Could you correct any misconceptions I have and explain to me why I =
should choose Zope over ColdFusion?  I want to select the tool by Wed. =
or Thurs., so a quick reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF2AAB.8D45CF80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Zope Folks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm with a new e-commerce startup and =
we're=20
currently evaluating the development tools we'll be using to create our=20
website.&nbsp; The platform will either be Sun hardware running Solaris=20
7/Apache, or Intel/Linux boxes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We initially evaluated four solutions: =
mod_perl,=20
PHP (using Apache module support), ColdFusion, and Zope.&nbsp; We've =
eliminated=20
mod_perl because of maintenance nightmares, PHP because, well, we just =
did, and=20
now we're down to ColdFusion and Zope.&nbsp; Initially I favored Zope, =
but there=20
are a few concerns I have about it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First off, the size of the ColdFusion =
development=20
pool and it's development history suggest greater stability and a more =
mature=20
feature set.&nbsp; Second, it seems that ColdFusion offers all the =
functionality=20
that Zope does and then some.&nbsp; Third, ColdFusion seems to offer =
similiar=20
performance.&nbsp; Fourth, the database connectivity seems to be equal =
to=20
Zope's.&nbsp; Fifth, their tag-based programming language seems to offer =

equivalent functionality to Zope's.&nbsp; Sixth, I can find more =
ColdFusion=20
developers than I can shake a stick at, but I have to explain to =
everyone I meet=20
what Zope is.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, as my lack of information leads me =
to believe,=20
there are only two drawbacks to ColdFusion as compared to Zope: (1) I =
have to=20
pay $3.5k for each license, and (2) Zope has a superior model for =
delegating=20
ownership to different people for the website.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Could you correct any misconceptions I =
have and=20
explain to me why I should choose Zope over ColdFusion?&nbsp; I want to =
select=20
the tool by Wed. or Thurs., so a quick reply would be =
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Ben</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF2AAB.8D45CF80--