[Zope] Jon Udell (Byte) on Linux/ODBC and MySQLDA difficulties

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:28:24 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Karl Fast wrote:

> > wow...I feel a whole lot better about myself after reading that Jon
> > Udell had difficulties linking Zope to MySQL on Linux ;) His experience
> > sounds a lot like mine, except I was eventually able to get it working.
> > yay !
>
> So just what is the state of MySQL and Zope?

> I know from lurking on the lists that MySQL's lack of transaction support
> doesn't make it very popular with some people, but one heck of a lot of
> people swear by it. I know more people who use MySQL than use PostgreSQL.
> Lack of strong MySQL support in Zope is a definite weak spot IMHO.

Zope's architecture requires a proper transactional RDBMS - the
weak spot is MySQL's lack of a transaction mechanism. MySQL is simply
not yet good enough to integrate with Zope. My gut feeling is that the
people who are capable of helping the MySQLDA project arn't going
to, as they realize that it is pointless to create what would be
fundamentally broken and will instead wait until MySQL is ready. Or arn't
using MySQL at all as they understand its limitations and databases are
important enough to them that they actually want to maintain data integrity.

- Zen, who is sick of staff wanting to develop databases in Access because
       they equate 'good' with 'popular' and is probably drawing unfair
       parallels in his head with MySQL and generally being unfair and grumpy.
       humph.

 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
  // E N  Senior Systems Alchemist      Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au