[Zope] ZSERVER, THREADS, PERFORMANCE & FUTURE PERFORMANCE

Theodore Patrick tpatrick@IndigoNetworks.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:03:34 -0600

In the ZOPE Documentation there are several tuning features for ZOPE ODB and
ZSERVER. I was wondering about current Zope Performance and where it is
heading. In certain areas we are looking at JAVA Servlets for performance
reasons, where ZOPE falls short of expectations. Here are some questions
that we have come up with in regards to Zope Performance in an Enterprise
Production Environment.

CURRENT ZOPE PERFORMANCE:

Q: Is there a performance improvement in raising the number of threads on
the ZOPE ODB?

Q: Does increasing the # of threads cause any problems? With Threaded DA's?
With the ODB?

Q: Is ZOPE performance with threads hardware restrictive? (ie. More threads
on a strong box=good, Default on a Strong box = bottleneck, More on a weak
box=worse performance)

Q: How does ZEO improve ZOPE performance?

Q: Is there hidden ZEN out there on Performance Tuning Zope for a production
environment?

FUTURE ZOPE PERFORMANCE/DEVELOPMENT

Q: Is ZOPE limited/Dependent on the associated Python Performance? Can ZOPE
run on separate instances of Python(Multiple JVM's in the JAVA World)?

Q: Is there hidden ZEN out there on Performance Tuning Zope for a Heavy
Production Environment(besides ZEO)? (HPE = up to 150 Requests/sec)

	How does one scale Zope to Java Sevlet performance levels (compiled
in-memory performance)?
		Sevlets = 200+ Requests per second (once invoked and
in-memory)
	Can you run Zope as a precompiled application(not-interpreted
python)?

Q: Is there a roadmap in the Zope Development to get to these performance
levels? What are the options?

Thanks,

Theodore E. Patrick
Ishophere.com