[Zope] Summary of DB Discussion

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:20:16 -0500

On 11/10/99 3:14 PM, Andrew M. Kuchling at akuchlin@mems-exchange.org wrote:

> Phillip J. Eby writes:
>> At 06:31 PM 11/9/99 -0600, Karl Fast wrote:
>> Could anyone point out where the "real soon now" is on the site?  Every
>> time I've ever looked at the site it has said that they have no plans to
>> implement fully ACID transactions, ever.
>
> David Axmark, one of the MySQL developers, was at the recent Linux
> conference in Montreal, and in the paper in the proceedings, it's
> mentioned that transaction support is on the TODO list.  (I think it
> might not be full transactions, though; I don't have the paper here,
> but I think there were some simplifications.  Will check...)

OK, either you have FULL transactions or you have no transactions.  You
don't get to have only commit and call it a transaction :-)  You *must* have
abort/rollback.  THis is the ANSI standard, period.  I wonder sometimes
about people who claim to write software.  What might a "partial"
transaction be?

Chris