[Zope] Linux binary install requires chown (V2.1.0b1)

Paul Gresham gresham@traderisk.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:41:59 +0800

Hi,

I'm not sure if its in the docs, but the Linux binary install knows too
much ... After the tar xvfz it creates the Zope directory with owner
506.users. As I'll run my installation along side apache, I ran the
install script unde root, then did a "chown -R nobody.nobody var" so
Zope will start. At this point I did a test and all was well.

Next I installed five packages in no particular order
(GenericUserFolder-alpha1.tgz, TinyTableB2.tgz, poll-0.6.3.tgz,
Squishdot-0-3-2.tgz, ZDiscussions-0.1.0.tgz)and restarted Zope. It
worked, but there were lots of authentication and/or file access
problems that prevented me entering the manage screen.

I fixed the problem with these commands ...

chown root.root Zope-2.1.0b1-linux2-x86
cd Zope-2.1.0b1-linux2-x86
chown -R root.root *
chown -R nobody.nobody var

It was almost certainly one of the packages which tripped the whole
thing up, but there is certainly a problem in that the tarball will
extract to a funny owner, and post-install, the owners are a real mess.

All the best,

Paul Gresham
MediaVisual Hitech Ltd
Hong Kong