[Zope] ZSERVER, THREADS, PERFORMANCE & FUTURE PERFORMANCE

Sam Gendler sgendler@teknolojix.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:22:49 -0800

Regardless, 30 TPS is a terrible score.  However, I suspect there is something
going on here that is skewing the numbers on the Zope test.  I have been in
webserver development for many years, most of them on the cutting edge, and I
have spent a LOT of time benchmarking various servers and proxies.  I haven't
benchmarked Zope at all, but Zope feels much faster than a 30 TPS webserver.
Generally, on a server that slow, requesting a single object from a browser
will not exactly feel quick, and Zope tends to feel almost instantaneous.
This is a very subjective analysis, but I have learned to trust my feelings on
this one.  I have never looked at the Medusa code at all, but I suspect that
there is something about the zeustest that causes the Zope server to be
unhappy.  It could be that Medusa does not handle concurrency well at all,
which would be a very bad thing.  I assume the test you are using is similar
to the apache bench.  If so, you should definitely see more than 4 threads in
use at once on the server, since there should be 10 connections open at all
times (assuming the -c option is comcurrency, although -t could be
threadcount) .  It could imply something fairly ugly going on in the
webserver's scheduler.  I would suggest that the surest way to see where you
are seeing the delay is to hack some stats into the test you are using.  Some
very interesting numbers to collect are time from last byte out to first byte
in, time from first byte in to last byte of headers in, time for body to
transfer, and of course, overall transaction length.  Take averages over 5 or
10 second intervals and see what they look like.  I have seen latencies occur
at all three locations, almost always do to funky interactions between TCP and
code in the server.

--sam