[Zope] DTML Syntax contd. + rant

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:41:58 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> > While I'm on the soapbox, another thing about Zope which irks me is
> > its gratuitous inconsistencies.  I can't apply what I learn in one
> > part of Zope to another part.  In Folders, I can use "objectValues"
> > to get a list of the objects contained in the folder.  When I want
> > to iterate over the Users in a User Folder, though, "objectValues"
> > doesn't work.  You have to go searching through the ZQR to see that
> > you must use "getUserNames" instead.  What's up with that?
>
> User Folders aren't Object Managers, so they don't contain any of the
> same object manager code as other foldoids.
>
> Having User Folders look vaguely like and be named like other folders is
> just a simple error.  Inconsistent, you are correct.  But it's just a
> naming issue, they should have been called something else.

In particular, I believe LDAPAdaptor isn't folderish at all and
GenericUserFolder will return quite different things if you call
objectValues() rather than getUserNames().

 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
  // E N  Senior Systems Alchemist      Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
 //__     Computer Science, RMIT 	 WWW: http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~zen