[Zope] Zope missing logic

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:22:40 +0100

Christopher Petrilli wrote:
> On 11/12/99 12:48 PM, Anders Gaarsdal Holst at anders@colorweb.dk wrote:
>
> > In my opinion a descision has to be made whether to make dtml both a
> > template and programming language or a pure template language (and leave
> > the programming to Python methods). If the first is decided then an
> > attempt must be done to cleanup dtml's syntax, it is nowhere near
> > logical, and develop some new dtml tags like loops etc..
>
> You mean somehow different than <dtml-in>?  DTML is a reporting language,
> and so needs some minor level of programming, but you are right that it has
> too much stuff in it.  It's not, however, as easy as it looks to fix---look
> at PL/SQL and the horror that it can become.

Thanks for the warning; I'll try to stay away from PL/SQL. :)

I'd like to point Anders to a big discussion that's been raging on the list
(and zope-dev) about just this very topic, look for 'DTML Syntax contd. +
rant'.

Don't let DTML scare you too much though; even simple DTML can be quite
powerful already.

Regards,

Martijn