[Zope] Cheap LINUX Zope host?

Ian Blenke icblenke@2c2.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:50:48 -0500

Using IDE on a dual-proc Linux server is a "bad idea". Use SCSI for any
machine you propose to host multiple users on. If you must use IDE, throw
some DIMMS in the poor box and rely on cache to speed things up.

Also, if you're running a UDMA-66 system, and have a controller (and drive,
etc) that can handle it, you can speed things up quite a bit with hdparm:

	hdparm -u1 -c1 -k1 -m16 -d1 -X66 /dev/hda

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THE ABOVE COMMAND BEFORE YOU RTFM. If you loose data,
there is nothing I can do to help you. TEST THIS CAREFULLY. TEST THIS FULLY.
Don't do this to a production server, PLEASE.

This works GREAT on a FIC SD-11 Athlon system (VIA "VP3" 82C59x based
Southbridge) after enabling the driver support in the kernel along with a WD
27g UDMA66/7200rpm drive.

On an overclocked dual-celery system running two IDE IBM 16Gb drives at
home, attempting to tweak my IDE settings with the onboard Intel chipset
causes the machine to reliably lock solid EVERY TIME.

I have been running Zope on the above dual-celery system for quite some
time. Aside from the 2gb file limit, everything has run very smoothly.

The biggest noticable changes are when DMA is enabled, and when IRQ
unmasking is turned on.

YMMV.

 - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@2c2.com>