[Zope] ODBC - 1 step forward - woops I tripped

rgines@purina.com rgines@purina.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:20:18 -0600

>Could there be a file permissions issue?  I'm not up on NT file
permissions, but
>maybe the text file just has the wrong permissons.  Anyway, I'd just go
directly
>to one of your DB2 databases. I often have trouble getting those Jet
drivers
>working right on the fly, but I never had a problem with SQLAnywhere.

That is why I stated that I was logged on as a local Admin.   I've
essentially
got 'root' access.  (Ya know, same thing ... only different ;-)

I'm already trying to go directly to DB2 through ODBC since it looked like
was getting stuck somewhere in the ODBC Text Drivers.   I ran a trace and
was seeing stupid errors about unsupported this and that and the other
thing ....

Someone suggested that I try doing all of this going to an MSAccess DB
(Choke)
which I did and glory be!, it worked ... go figure.   So I know that what I
am doing
is at least not out in left field.

Of course, since nothing is ever easy, I am having fun now with the DB2
ODBC
drivers.   Even just trying to create an ODBC Connection gives me the
following
error.
     Invalid connection string: SAMPLE

     Traceback (innermost last):
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\ZPublisher\Publish.py, line
214, in publish_module
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\ZPublisher\Publish.py, line
179, in publish
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\Zope\__init__.py, line 201, in
zpublisher_exception_hook
         (Object: RoleManager)
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\ZPublisher\Publish.py, line
165, in publish
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\ZPublisher\mapply.py, line 160,
in mapply
         (Object: manage_edit)
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\ZPublisher\Publish.py, line
102, in call_object
         (Object: manage_edit)
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\Shared\DC\ZRDB\Connection.py,
line 159, in manage_edit
         (Object: RoleManager)
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\Shared\DC\ZRDB\Connection.py,
line 153, in edit
         (Object: RoleManager)
       File D:\PROGRA~1\GYNZER~1\lib\python\Shared\DC\ZRDB\Connection.py,
line 197, in connect
         (Object: RoleManager)
       File D:\Program
Files\GynzerWebSite\lib\python\Products\ZODBCDA\db.py, line 155, in
__init__
     BadRequest: (see above)

So now my question to everyone interested is, "Where does a newbie get
pointed to in order to start figuring
out how to debug this for a new ODBC driver (since we all know that these
things are SO standard)(tic)"?

Thanks for everyones assistance in getting me this far.   Some of you
showed that I am really stupid while
others of you confirmed that I am not yet insane.

>Cold Fusion requires the ODBC datasource to be set up as a "system"
datasource.
>The ODBC default, however,  is a "user" datasource.  Maybe on NT Zope
needs to
>see a system rather than a user odbc datasource.  You can test that out
easily.

Good suggestion, this was one of the first things that I tried out.   Same
result both ways
so I didn't mention it.  I'm leaving it on 'system'.