[Zope] FYI: QuickStart Zope/Apache on RedHat 6.1 (mini HOWTO)

Harry mail-zope@fizbin.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:43:17 -0800

on 11/17/1999 10:21 PM, Sam Gendler at sgendler@teknolojix.com wrote:

> It has never taken me  more than 10 minutes to get Zope 2.0x up and running on
> various RedHat and Mandrake installs (5.2, 6.0R, 6.0M, 6.1M).  The 6.x
> versions have python 1.5.2 installed from the cd. Just run the wo_pcgi.py
> script and then run the start script.  Point your browser to port 8080
> and log in.

That's *YOU*, who is obviously familiar with half-this stuff. I believe that
not all people that are attracted to Zope by the propaganda are of that
caliber, and for them it is WAY easier to use the 'reviled' RPM methods,
than to have to deal with hand-compiling it all.

I'm familiar with doing it by hand (finally), but I still prefer an RPM over
a source compile/install, simply because most well-behaved RPMs not only
know exactly WHERE to place everything, but are also smart enough to NOT
overwrite crucial data during an upgrade...

In addition, bear in mind that Nemeth wrote his tutorial specifically for
the Apache/Zope integration, which, if you do not know what's going on, is
less than intuitive - yet which, with the aid of good RPMs, also takes
minutes, most of which are spent configuring the httpd.conf file.

Harry