[Zope] fastcgi and ISP's -- alternatives?

Jason Jones jason.jones@awl.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:24:57 +0800

on 11/19/99 6:07 AM, Jeff Rush at jrush@timecastle.net wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 05:13:59 +0800, Jason Jones wrote:
>
>> I don't have the luxury of running my
>> own server but would like to use Zope and unfortunately none of the Zope
>> hosts listed at zope.org seems right for me.
>
> Pardon me but I'm curious what the hosts listed at zope.org are lacking
> that you need.  You see, I'm in the process of setting myself up as a
> Zope hosting ISP and would want to add anything you think is lacking.

It's mainly a case of space and money. Of the six or so servers listed, most
are expensive and are fairly limited in resources (one only lists 35megs of
space and not much transfer bandwith per month) and some of them restrict
what you can install as far as products go. Most standard hosts are starting
to offer more generous packages (350,750+ megs, etc. and large transfer
limits). Of course those are pretty basic accounts and the tech support
can't boast the Zope expertise which a dedicated zope host could - so there
is definitely a trade off.

I may end up going with one of the Zope hosts listed though... especially
since mod_fastcgi isn't really supported yet according to Scott Robertson's
post (only unstable post 2.2.2 versions pass the authentication and rewrite
rules won't work), but I think I will probably go with something like
iserver.com or one of their resellers. They are more expensive and you do
have to pay for extra space over 200megs, but they offer what is probably
THE most important thing for me -- the ability to admin your own server.
It's really nice to be able to set up all of your config files, set up the
dynamic modules loaded into your apache instance (within reason), etc...
most places only let you touch .htaccess, which is fine for lots of people,
but doesn't work for me.

Jason