[Zope] importing RSS files (SiteSummary product)

M. Adam Kendall mak@kha0s.org
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:14:23 -0500 (EST)

On 21-Nov-1999 Timothy Wilson wrote:
> Now let's say that I'd like to display the news from Zope.org on my site.
> The RSS file is at http://www.zope.org/SiteIndex/news.rss
>
> It's obviously poor manners to get the RSS file directly from the site
> every time the page is requested. What would be the best strategy to
> display the news on my Linux-based server? I'm really not sure how to
> proceed here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim, I do this rather easily with a cron job that runs every hour.  For
instance, I have a SiteSummary object on my server called freshmeatXML.
Then I created a shell script called /usr/local/bin/updateXML with these
contents:

#!/bin/sh
lynx -source
http://localhost/freshmeatXML/importFromURL?url=http://freshmeat.net/
backend/fm.rdf

So then I just linked the script in /etc/cron.daily (if you are lucky
enough to have a RedHat or Mandrake box, putting scripts in this directory
will automatically 'cronify' them)   If you don't have RH or similar, you
can put them in cron directly by running 'crontab -e' and inserting the
following line:

00 * * * * /usr/local/bin/updateXML

This will run the script at every minute zero.  Which of course, occurs
once an hour.

Hope this helps..
Adam
--