[Zope] Global Interpreter Lock and four processors...

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:36:58 +0000

Hi all,
We have a four processor Sun box (each processor scores about 2400
pystones, whereas a 500 MHz P3 gets about 5400 pystones).

I have three zope installations running, one of which is hosting
three subsites. If I create four *binary* installations of Zope
(complete with the thread-safe MySQL adaptor and all the other python
libraries necessary to run a Zope site), will I run into the global
interpreter lock?

What I'm saying is if I *don't* use /usr/local/bin/python for my Zope
installations, but instead rely on ZOPE_HOME/bin/python, will I be
able to spread my Zope sites out over the four processors, or is
there a nasty sting in the tail in doing this?

thanks in advance,
tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2