[Zope] Console messages; what does these mean?

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:15:59 -0600

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 05:25:08PM +0100, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> At 02:27 PM 11/23/99 , Steen Suder , Zope list <zope@zope.org> wrote:
> >At 12:54 PM 11/23/99 , Steen Suder wrote:
> >>The following snip is taken from the console of our Zope server after a
> >>crash (or whatever it was):
> >>
> >>[root@getafix ZOPE-2.0.0]# /opt/mtg/Z/ZOPE-2.0.0/start
> >>[root@getafix ZOPE-2.0.0]# NOTICE:  BeginTransactionBlock and not in
> >>default state
> >>NOTICE:  EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state
> >>NOTICE:  BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state
> >>NOTICE:  EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state
> >>NOTICE:  BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state
> >>NOTICE:  EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state
> >>NOTICE:  BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state
> >>NOTICE:  EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort
> >>state
>  >>

> These are messages from PostgreSQL. They appear when no transaction in
> PostgreSQL was started because PostgreSQL doesn't start one until there is
> something to roll back, or something along these lines.
>
> If an error occurs somewhere else in Zope, and your transaction is rolled
> back, PostgreSQL throws above warning to tell you that it didn't see
> anything waranting a rollback.

Steen & Martjin -
Yes, these messages are coming from PostgreSQL. I've observed them when trying
to get the DA to work better with the Zope 2.0 transaction machinery. As far as
I remember, once a transaction has been rolled back through a ZPygreSQLDA,
Zope never puts that connection back in 'transaction' mode: i.e. it never calls
the _begin, _finish, (or _abort) methods of the DB at transaction boundries.

I can trigger this by making an SQL syntax error in a ZSQL method. Only way
I could get things back in sync was to use the DAs management interface to
close and reopen the DB connection. This is the primary reason the version
of this DA on my www.zope.org page is marked 'beta'.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer