[Zope] ZODB Storage Error

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:31:51 -0500

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> Several times lately, we've seen our development Zope server (running
> CVS of a few days ago) go into a mode where all requests return back
> this:
>
> Error Type: TransactionError
> Error Value: A serious error, which was probably a system error, occurred
> in a previous database transaction. This application may be in an invalid
> state and must be restarted before database updates can be allowed. Beware
> though that if the error was due to a serious system problem, such as
> a disk full condition, then the application may not come up until you
> deal with the system problem. See your application log for information
> on the error that lead to this problem.
>
> The only thing in the log is this:
>
> 1999-11-24T05:51:23 PANIC(300) ZODB An storage error occurred in the last
> phase of a two-phase commit.  This shouldn't happen. The application may
> be in a hosed state, so we will not allow transactions to commit from here on

Waaaa. This should include a traceback, but it doesn't.  I wonder
if there is a bug in the logging machinery.

> How can I debug this further???

Fix the broken logging machinery? Ugh.
I'll take a look at this, but feel free
to beat me to it. :)

> Help?

As the message indicates, this happens if an error occurs during
the final stage of a two-phase commit. If this happens, then database
integrity cannot be assured unless further writes are prevented. The only
case in which I've seen this happen is if the disk fills up. Could this be
happening to you?

Jim

repeats.