[Zope] BeOS 4.5 support

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:09:28 -0500

    I have experimented with Zope and BeOS recently.  I haven't got a fix
yet, but I can report my findings, maybe someone will be able to finish it
off before I get around to it again.

    Zope has no issues with BeOS.  The problem is with the Python port.  The
Makefile it installs to lib/python/config doesn't know how to build shared C
modules.  It builds the modules when initially compiling and installing with
a small collection of shell scripts.  Zope expects to be able to use the
lib/python/config/Makefile* files to build it's C modules, can't, and it's
install dies.  What needs to be done is the BeOS Python port must be brought
in line with the other platforms'.  Once that is done, Zope will work as
well on BeOS as anywhere else.

    ...theoretically.  ;-)  We'll have to get that far before we know for
sure.

Mike.