[Zope] Offline development

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 15:08:41 +0800

>> I would be using Zope in the UK, where dialup or leaseline access to the
web
>> is still very expensive. Is it practical to develop and test offline on the
>> local machine before uploading changes to the remote production site?
How is
>> this done?
>
>Hi Geoff -
>
>You could work on a folder and then export it using the export/import
>management tab. You can then import it on the main server. Alternatively
>you can copy that whole database (the Data.fs file) on the server and
>restart Zope.

Remember to upload any external methods from your /Extensions directory
(also remember that unix requires that to be uppercase whereas win32 doesn't
care), and also any Products that you might have added.

I've personally found it useful to use BASE1 in URLs
ie.  <A HREF=<dtml-var BASE1>/folder/folder2>
which gives me more leeway on customizing zope to work with apache,
zserver or whatever at a later date.

chas