[Zope] Any other ColdFusion coders out there?

Tad Murphy murphyt@cybertad.com
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 01:37:45 -0500

Zope is *much* more scalable than ColdFusion... and that won't change no
matter what ColdFusion does short of converting to an Object model.

So many folks say that "scalability" is based solely on the size and power
of the hardware, but this is simply not true.  Zope runs on more OS's than
ColdFusion right now, and, given a little work, could run on even more.
Because of this, the hardware part of the scalability issue is put to
rest...  meaning that some of the OS's that Zope runs on, themselves, run on
super hardware.

But there are other issues to deal with as far as scalability.  One of
Zope's greatest assets is the ZODB and everything associated with it like
dynamic cataloging, transactions, undo's, etc.

And then there is the fact about Zope being Open Source and ColdFusion is a
commercial product.  Changes can happen within Zope in an instant if needed.
A few weeks back when we discovered the major Acquisition problem with Zope
it was patched and an updated version of Zope was released instantly.

As well, it seems that Allaire might be transitioning from CF to Spectra and
I would not be surprised to see a version of Spectra out soon after this
first one that doesn't rely on CFML, or what we know as ColdFusion now,at
all. There are reasons that Allaire has invested in other technologies such
as JRun. Just a thought...

Tad Murphy
"cybertad"
http://www.zope.org/Members/cybertad/