[Zope] Syntax

picasso@videotron.ca picasso@videotron.ca
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 22:55:22 -0400

I always have some problems with the dtml syntax.

Here is the guilty:

MyFoderA
    MyFolderB
        MyDTMLMethod
        <dtml-var "PARENTS">
results:
[<Folder instance at 01AE5340>, <Folder instance at 01AB4A10>, <Application
instance at 01A74FA0>]

MyFoderA
    MyFolderB
        MyDTMLMethod
        <dtml-var "PARENTS[0].id">
results: MyFolderB

Fine.

MyFoderA
    MyFolderB
        MyDTMLMethod
        <dtml-var "PARENTS[0]">
results:
Zope Error

Resource not found

Sorry, the requested Zope resource does not exist.
Check the URL and try again.
****************************

I expected something like: <Folder instance at 01AE5340>.
Maybe it's not a very useful Method, but I try to understand.

Many times, writing very basic script I came across with this kind of problem.

I dont understand and feel really stupid.

I read comments about the learning curve. Some said that it's better to
know python. I know python, I never feel stupid with python. I usually
understand when I make a mistake.

A more complete reference documentation and step by step tutorial would be
nice. As I understand it, DC primary targets are massive Web Sites. On the
other side there are developpers that work on the source or can afford
spending a lot of time reading it.

Maybe there are also programmers or small and middle sized businesses that
would like to use Zope to build their Web application but need a good
documentation.

I am one them, and surely I would pay for a good documentation. Has DC or
anyone else, planned to ship this kind of service: A CLEAR DOCUMENTATION.

Thanks

Oscar Picasso
picasso@videotron.ca