[Zope] Links for ever

Theodore Patrick tpatrick@IndigoNetworks.com
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:43:09 -0500

WW3C & RDF

AT: http://www.w3.org/RDF/

Describing -->Netscape OPEN DIRECTORY RDF FORMAT:
"RDF dumps of the mozilla.org Open Directory are available. (note: these
dumps don't quite conform to the final RDF specification but rather to an
earlier working draft.)"

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Petrilli [mailto:petrilli@digicool.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 9:09 AM
To: Theodore Patrick; 'Phil Harris'; Arnaud Lecat; ZOPE
Subject: Re: [Zope] Links for ever

> The Netscape Open Directory is a Yahoo style open source directory. All of
> the Data is available in an XML like format (RDF-Early Netscape XML??). It
> is very accurate and a good data source.
>
> Here is the link:
> http://dmoz.org/about.html
>
> There are two Parts:
>  1. Categories Structure (6MB Compressed)
>  2. Link Data (60MB Compressed 200+MB UNCompressed!!!)
>
> ;) Enjoy, Ted!

Hopefully Andrew Kuchling is reading this... he gave a presentation at the
recent DC PIGies meeting about this, and basically said it might be CALLED
XML, but it's neither legal nor well-formed.  He had a horrendous time
parsing it, and when talking with people found out that nobody had tried to
parse it with a real XML parser, just regexes... ick, what's the point?  I'd
talk with him before endeavoring to understand this one.

Chris

--

For developer-specific issues, zope-dev@zope.org -