[Zope] Webfolders and IE5

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:13:47 -0400

Ian wrote:
> Here's a little snippet for those of you stuck with IE5 to
> show the current
> page as an IE5/Office2000 webfolder. None of this will work
> for *any* other
> browser. Don't blame me :)

[snip]

Wow, what a wonderful piece of information to know!  I'll look at adding
this as something on Zope.org from a Member's preferences page.

Another MS specific thing I've been doing a lot lately is Office2k's new
HTML file format, kind of an MSXHTML thingie.  We needed a way to
paginate and desktop publish the various structured text documents we
author as part of the Unified Process we use here for consulting gigs.

Since (a) the new format is a clear-text compatible language, and (b)
Zope is WebDAV compatible, we can get Zope to cobble together numerous
documents into one long Word Document.  Even better, what you're
actually viewing in Word is generated from different DTML methods,
meaning we can give different contents based on things like queries, the
role of the user, etc.

I'm modelling our sales funnel in Excel based on data pumped from an XML
Document through various DTML methods that give me different detail.
It's really cool!

> All of this was found on a Microsoft webpage while looking
> for "WebDAV" and
> "WebFolders" - but I've already lost the link. If you find it
> again, you may
> wish to post it here. How anyone can find anything on the
> Microsoft website
> is beyond me.

Yes, I spent literally 4 hours scouring their website and the web at
large for some kind of documentation of this damn MSXHTML-like markup
language they use.  I want to modify the Excel spreadsheet and, using
WebDAV, save it back to Zope, which would parse it and update things.

I'm a damn, damn good web scourer, and eventually concluded that
Microsoft intentionally doesn't document it.  Believe it or not, their
DTD declaration points to an ActiveX control.  Thus, their DTD is a
non-published, compiled, binary, internal thing.  Unreal.

--Paul